Friday, February 3, 2012

Bacon, Leek and Potato Soup

Pin It
Beware of this soup, it will make your house smell like a leek, but it's so worth it!  I love a really nicely made bowl of soup and I think I can say that potatoes are one of my absolute favorite foods.  I am for sure a true steak and potatoes girl, don't get me wrong I like all the other fancy pants meals and tres chique dishes, but give me a nice juicy (medium rare) steak and a loaded baked potato...Heaven!  Anyway since I love potatoes I thought I'd do this soup.  (We can pretend like the bacon is the steak.)  


Check out the very end for some site links of the health benefits of leeks!  They are pretty similar to onions and garlic with a lot milder flavor.




Utensils:


Sheet pan
Saucepan
Rubber spatula
Chef knife
Measuring spoons
Measuring cups


Ingredients:

8 strips bacon, cooked and chopped(save the grease for sauteeing)
1T olive oil
2T Butter
1/2 onion, small diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 leeks, diced
1t dried sage
2T flour
1c milk(any kind) or heavy cream, heated
1pt chicken stock or water
1 large potato, small diced and par-boiled
salt and pepper


Cook the bacon off on a sheet pan in the oven at 350F until crispy.  Reserve the grease and put in a large saucepan.  Heat the bacon grease, olive oil and 1T of the butter.  Add the diced onions and sautee until translucent.  Add the minced garlic and sautee lightly.  Add in the leeks and season with salt and pepper.  Sautee until tender.  Add in the sage.  Melt in the other Tablespoon of butter.  Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and stir to incorporate evenly.  Continue stirring for about a minute.  Pour in the milk a little at a time and stir after each addition.  Next, pour in the stock, par-cooked potatoes, and bacon.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.
*You may also at this point puree this soup if you want a smooth, creamy finish.  I kept mine rustic and chunky because I like seeing what I am eating!  Either way it's great and hope you enjoy this hearty meal.

Loooooove me some bacon!
Make sure you was thoroughly.

This was my sage before I dried it.




I found the mini loaf, at Target actually, to put my soup in! I love bread bowls and if I would of had the time I would have made my own...next time!

Oh and just a little precautionary advice, when you put a hot pan on granite and then lift it up, the granite is "WHOA, HOT!!" I mean not that I would know from experience or anything.




Leeks
http://www.indepthinfo.com/leeks/health-benefits.htm
http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/leeks.html
http://www.gayot.com/lifestyle/health/features/leeks-health-benefits.html
Follow Me on Pinterest

No comments:

Post a Comment