Tuesday, January 10, 2012

That's How I Roll...

Pin It
Oh the kitchen makes me so happy!
That's me front row all the way on the left!
I lived in the fast pace, heart palpitating, move or you will get burnt restaurant kitchen.  I love the adrenaline rush of moving so fast for hours and then stopping at the end of the night feeling satisfied and fulfilled.  Lived you say? Yes lived, no, I didn't die (this is not a ghost writer), and I did not move, get fired, start a family or just change my mind about my passion in life either.  You see,  just as I was able to begin really living in my dream world and making my life and my sons just that much better, it was stripped from my fingers.  The day I finished culinary school, I was in a car accident and lost the use of my lower body.  I now live my life in a wheelchair.  You might think this could be the most horrific and devastating thing, but just think, at least I was still left with the parts that really matter most to me.  I lost the use of my legs, but was left my arms, hands, eyes, brain and nose...all of which I need to continue doing what I LOVE!  So instead of being able to cook in a commercial kitchen or a restaurant of my own, I will be rolling around the kitchen of my own home!  The only thing you won't get to do is taste my craft. Unless however, you choose to use the tools I will provide to recreate it from the recipes I post! If you don't cook, you can feast your eyes on the pictures I will post and then get someone else to recreate the meal for you!! I hope you all enjoy this journey as much as I am going to.  The more questions you ask, the more knowledge you will gain and me as well!  One thing that has been engrained in my head even more now than ever is LIVE WITH PASSION! 
Days before my accident, I was on top of the world!
My cars seem to emulate my personality, well until now. These days I drive a silver mini van. Which I am not, nor will I ever be thrilled about! To me, it seems the dullest of the dull. Sorry all you mini van lovers out there! However,  I cannot really complain though, since this beautiful car above was totaled in the wreck, my wonderful brother gave me his old mini van(which I will also add, he loves mini vans...hmmmmm.) So before this fabulous bright yellow car, my first car was GREEN! The perfect color of green, 5 speed and it was the LOVE of my life at the time.  I felt like a racecar driver and got the tickets to prove it! 
Riding in the ambulance from Floyd Hospital to Shepherd Center.

Now this picture was a ride to a new beginning, in a really big, loud, fast ambulance, not one of my favorite cars!  It was a learning experience unlike like any other, to the Shepherd Center.  Being at Shepherd was like I was a baby learning from my mom how to do the basics. Brushing my hair was different, eating was different, using my new LEGS.  You might look at them and call them WHEELS, but they are my legs! I am like Lieutenant Dan from Forrest Gump, and one day hope to be Forrest Gump himself.  When he starts running and his braces fall off and he is freed.  For the moment though I will travel this journey however tough and very draining it may be.  It is a must for me to get back to my passion and I will be doing it walking or not.(Sorry legs, I can't sit around waiting on ya.)  My family and friends support me like no other and I am eternally grateful for that!  My son, makes me go on.  Even though he may not ever know it, he is my strength a lot of days.  












This is how I roll...

 Life is different now and lots of changes have to be made daily.  I learn new things about myself, way more than I did before.  It's time to cook again, with passion and quickness like I once did! I am ready, are you?




My Amazing son Zach




Food is fabulous and so is the company that goes along with it!

Follow Me on Pinterest

7 comments:

  1. Hi Niks
    This is brilliant :-)... Keep it up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! Hope you sign up to follow. I am pretty excited about posting!

      Delete
  2. I'm excited to read some of your recipes, keep on postin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello -
    I edit Life in Action magazine (http://www.spinalcord.org/life-in-action/digital-archive/) for United Spinal Association/the National Spinal Cord Injury Association. We are working on a food issue and I would love to include you. Can you email me at iruder@unitedspinal.org? Thanks -

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy your magazine! I just emailed you and would love to hear what you all are doing! :) Look forward to talking with you. Thank you for checking out my blog!

      Delete
  4. You are an inspiration to all...well done! :)

    ReplyDelete